Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Matching Accessories


I spent New Years day alone. I stayed in New Years Eve and never even turned the tv on-I had a quiet night of conversation ending in a warm hug and smiles on my face all the way upstairs to my bed. It was the first time I've spent the night completely alone in the new house and I was surprisingly comfortable. Comfortable with the silence, comfortable with the big bed to myself and comfortable with the solitude.


I spent quite a bit of time thinking on the past year-isn't that what the New Years hype is all about? Reflecting on the past and planning for the future. One thing that happened this year is a shift in my thinking about men and relationships. In the past, a man was my total "outfit". Hopefully he fit well without too much altering, the shade was one that enhanced my complexion and he was quality-he could withstand being tossed on the floor when I was done, flung in the washing machine with a bunch of others when I was cleaning house and me squeezing into him when I was in full blown PMS bloating.


Now, with a new career launching, a new home being decorated and new friendships being formed, I've begun looking at a man as a handbag. He should be an accessory - not the outfit. The outfit is the kids, the job, family, friends, home-he is there and is an integral part of what I'm wearing. I need him to add that final touch to make my couture complete. But he's not the whole style-that comes from me.

No comments: