Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Soulmate


When people toss the word "soulmate" around with all the weight of cotton candy, I get annoyed. My daughter says her newest boyfriend is her soulmate. My brother's fiancee is his soulmate. My grandmother says manatees are her soulmates. (She's old, give her a break). I don't think I ever said or even felt anyone was my soul's mate. I've been told by other people that I'm their soulmate, but that usually involved lots of panting, zippers and backseats of '72 Monte Carlos.

I have one though. It's absolutely a meeting of the minds, we seem to share a brain at times. We get each other. We walk totally different paths 90% of the time and rarely share the same space or get "face time". In fact, we've seen more of each other in the last 12 months than we've seen in the entire 8 years we've known each other. We finish each other's sentences sometimes and would fight each other's battles if we could.

Soulmates aren't necessarily that person you can't keep your hands off of. They aren't always your wife or husband, boyfriend or lover. They're the person that is your other half, your emotional twin, the yin to your yang, the boom to your bip. They come in all shapes and sizes and colors, but yours is created 'specially for you and you only get one (or two if you're lucky) in life. If you're blessed, you are allowed to meet yours. I was blessed.

No comments: